Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Lesson Learned Today

It is vital to our spiritual health that we do two things every day. The first is study and ponder the scriptures. And the second is to pray.

We need the Holy Ghost with us each day to make proper decisions. Studying the scriptures and praying each day is how we stay in tune with the Spirit.

When we interact with people we need the Spirit, in order to bless them. We are commanded to feed each other spiritually. See John 21:15; D&C 88:76-77. In order to teach we must have within us something to teach. It must be a treasure within us, a fountain of living waters springing up to give life to the spiritually parched. D&C 11:21; D&C 84:85; D&C 42:14.

I heard today that when King David fell, he had likely quit praying. If we want to avoid sin, to have the strength to resist sin, we must be close to the Lord. We do that by praying.

I have been advised by my primary care doctor to spend some time meditating each day. It's supposed to help lower my blood pressure. It has been hard for me to meditate for any length of time. I feel that I'm not doing anything when I'm meditating. But perhaps, if I do it in connection with, as part of my prayer, I can relax and listen for the Spirit to guide me. And if I study a scripture or two during the same time, I can pray more effectively. I want to do this.

2 comments:

Karalenn Hippen said...

Well well. I didn't realize that you had a blog. I've enjoyed reading through it this last little while. I wanted to comment on this post in particular because it is the same lesson I am learning. I've thought back as an adult and wondered how I was so strong and faithful as a teenager and how I don't feel I'm as strong as I was then sometimes. I've come to realize it was from my excellent study habbits in the scriptures and constant prayer in my heart. Somehow in the mix of rearing young children those habbits have gone out the window. As I have begun to put more dedication into it I'm amazed at the grace I have found to be blessed again with a growing testimony. I'm so grateful.

sunnytosh said...

I don't want to fall like King David. I am trying to pray more often also, and I like it.