Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chapter 4 - return to SLC

When we returned to Salt Lake it was fall/winter. I loved kicking through leaves up to my knees on my way to school in the morning.

We moved into a small apartment down an alley off of I Street on the Avenues in Salt Lake (64 I St, apt 5). Little did I know that there was a girl in kindergarten at that same school, Longfellow Elementary, whom I would marry about 15 years later.

The apartment was not very well maintained, and I hated using the bathroom there. To a 6-year-old it was really gross.

Valentines was the only event I clearly recall. I had developed some friendships in the neighborhood, so I was anxious to deliver Valentine Cards to all of them that night. I had not been out after dark before, and as I tried to find a couple of friends houses, I got disoriented. I dropped a valentine on a porch, which was actually across the street from where I thought I was. I rang the doorbell and ran, only to fall going down the steps and skinning my knee and both hands. That was the last card to deliver, so I headed for home. But I could not find it. I was lost. A kind neighbor lady out with her own kids making deliveries found me wandering down the street crying. I was only across the street from where I wanted to be, so it was easy for her to set me straight.

We were only there for 2 months, and then we moved to a house at 1900 Wyoming Street.

2 comments:

Seth Hippen said...

I'm amazed at your memory. The little stories are the best part of this epic.

sunnytosh said...

I'm glad there was someone there to help you deliver your valentines. :D