Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My life - chapter 2

After the war was over, Dad returned home and went to work for General Electric X-ray. Mom and Dad bought a little house at 2666 Hartford St. in Salt Lake. I have a couple of memories of that house. It had a swinging door between the living room and kitchen. And I remember my first Halloween there. I had a bugs bunny mask, cut out of the back of a cereal box. I looked forward to wearing it for Halloween, but that night, when I saw the other kids coming to the door in their costumes, I got scared and would only look out the living room window with my mask on. I was afraid to go to the door.

I had one adventure while living there that I do not remember. I was told about it later. There was a grocery store around the corner from the house where Mom would walk with me to buy groceries. Most groceries in those days were bought at small corner stores that were in walking distance from most homes. Few people had more than one car, and dads went to work in those. So moms had to have a place they could walk, or do the shopping on Saturday when the car was available. Anyway, one day I decided to go grocery shopping on my own. I walked to the store, got one of the carts and started filling it with groceries. Somehow the proprietor of the store got word to Mom what I was doing, and she came to get me. I don't know what happened to the groceries. I had to have been 3 years old at the time, since I was only 3 1/2 when we moved from there.

4 comments:

sunnytosh said...

That is really cute.

Seth Hippen said...

Great stuff. Keep it comin'!

Xena said...

Nice to have all this info I didn't know about my own Dad! I look forward to more chapters.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Why you little stinker. That sounds about a 3 year old thing to do. :)